About Me

My photo
Hi. Thanks for stopping by. My names Ian. I was born and raised in Sheffield left and joined the RAF did 25 years and now working in the Rail industry.

You can't buy that.

Thanks for stopping by. This is mainly an account of walks done by myself, alone, with Family or Friends and acquaintances, with the odd rant and mishap thrown in. If it bores you I apologise, if it inspires you i'm honoured. I have done this so when i'm old and infirm I can look back at some nice times and think I had achieved something outside of helping to bring some wonderful people in to the world. Hi to Leigh, Sean, Zara and Rebecca. I hope they grow up to appreciate the beauty all around them as I do. Its also so they can see what their Dad was up to when they were a little bit too small or too far away to come with him.

Monday 28 March 2011

Happy Birthday to me.

To celebrate my 47th, Debs booked us in to the Royal Oak at Betsw y coed and challenged herself to a walk? up snowdon. She said she was up for it so who am I to argue. Having thought long and hard about which way (the train wasn't an option in march)up and down to go, I plumped for, up the PYG and down the miners. I dint fancy all the ascent in one go and i knew the Pyg split the climb up in to do-able chunks.

So with the kids packed off to their big sisters (thanks Steph). Off we went on the friday, had a lovely meal in the hotel and an even better breakfast the next morning. By the time we had got our lunches it was gone 9am so set off to the pen y pass car park to find upon arrival it was full. I abandoned Deb with the kit and left the car opposite the pen y grwyd, the machines were bust so free parking!! Good start.

The weather was cold and a small easterly breeze kept the mist at bay for now but it was to be a day of not many views, although Crib Goch was in and out of sight as we took our place in the queue on the way up.

You meet allsorts on a weekend going up a mountain. We came across some lads from west brom who were still pissed up from the night before, some lads from kent who swore a lot, 2 groups of american/canadian high school adventurists and the usual crowd from mersyside in tracksuits and carrier bags. We even saw a group of students in pyjamas an red noses. Now i havent got a big problem with Charity work, but it was minus a few degrees on the summit, visibility was at best 50 yards and it could hardly be described a s spring like.

Anyway I digress from what was a wonderful day out. Some pics of the ascent.


xxxxxxxxxxxx

Got to the summit in good time for lunch and found a spot out of the wind and had our lovely lunch. Deb had made it without complaining once and i was really chuffed for her as i know it was a big effort for her to do this. Well done baby.

With the mountain conquered and my grumps at the ill equipped and under prepared we set off back down, this time we headed for the miners track. unfortunately Deb twisted her leg on a rock and did some damage so the descent was a lot slower than we would have hoped. Despite that she kept a brave face right up until the end but I could tell she was in a lot of pain. once down I left her as before and fetched the motor. arrived back just in time for a leisurely bath and a few drinks and another cracking meal in the hotel grill bar this time. An almost perfect day bar the weather and Debs' injury.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers