About Me

My photo
Hi. Thanks for stopping by. My names Ian. I was born and raised in Sheffield left and joined the RAF did 25 years and now working in the Rail industry.

You can't buy that.

Thanks for stopping by. This is mainly an account of walks done by myself, alone, with Family or Friends and acquaintances, with the odd rant and mishap thrown in. If it bores you I apologise, if it inspires you i'm honoured. I have done this so when i'm old and infirm I can look back at some nice times and think I had achieved something outside of helping to bring some wonderful people in to the world. Hi to Leigh, Sean, Zara and Rebecca. I hope they grow up to appreciate the beauty all around them as I do. Its also so they can see what their Dad was up to when they were a little bit too small or too far away to come with him.

Sunday 13 December 2009

The Hellvelyn massif.

After yesterdays disaster (see hartsop above how blog), going to Blackpool having to change a tyre, getting back to a wind and rain ravaged tent, getting to sleep about 4AM i started a bit later than i expected...3 hours late in fact. Half seven became an half ten and a quick drive to Patterdale saved me an hour of flat woodland (which I'd done most of yesterday) and at the end of the day it turned out to be a good decision. Being a tightwad Yorkie, I won't pay for parking if I can utilise a lay-by etc so, opposite the White Lion in Patterdale was where the car was abandoned. I was tired and emotional and my boots hadn't quite dried out but not to worry. Plan was straight up Birks -St Sunday Crag- Dollywagon-Nethermost- Hellvelyn ( I was excited as the cloud was high and may get the view at the 6th? time of asking)- Whiteside-Raise-Sticks Pass-Sheffield Pike- Glenridding Dodd and back along the shore of ullswater and on to Patterdale.
Starting at 10:30 and it goes dark at 6:20 ish meant I'd have to get cracking. I'd checked the map quickly in the morning so straight on with the climbing......Ullswater through the trees.
Photobucket
The man coughed for the second time in 2 days"cough" Ian "cough" I don't think you are where you think you are. I looked at the map and my surroundings, to my left was errrrm birkhouse moor..but thats not Birkhouse moor is it.The voice said "yes thats birkhouse moor but whats that hill BETWEEN"

I'd climbed Arnison Crag by mistake! I now extended my sit down by 5 minutes as it was now obvious to me that i needed to sort myself out. Twice in 2 days i'd gone charging out without properly preparing! It cost me some time and also cost me a lung busting ascent up the western flank of Birks which wasnt easy and certainly harder than the way i'd expected to go. Which was up there (right to left up Birks)!
Still, Arnison Crag is a wainwright. "Bonus" the little man voice told me. I carried on summited the Crag then hung a right and down and up to catch the Birks - St Sunday path.


Birks is just a slog up all the way:

The summit. St Sunday on the left and the Hellvelyn range in the rear. There's no way I'd make that today is there really!
I set a merry pace over the three or four false summits with a bit of easy scrambling along the way.
Shortly after I reached the summit which was shared with some fire fighters. Luckily they weren't there on business.


I then set off looking for a suitable spot to have my scoff. There was an enchanting view down to Grisedale tarn with Seat sandal behind. My route up to Hellvelyn was on the right up Dollywagon Pike.






I clambered down about halfway and sat almost opposite Dollywagon and had my cheese and salami. A lovely view from my my dining room!





The hard work was about to start. I'd descended Dollywagon Pike before and remembered it was a steep path, it was also a long way down. I had to cross Grisedale tarn first though.


It was then up the flank of the Pike....phew! You can just make the path out. Its one of the biggest staircases i have ever seen!


I got up there in less than an hour but it took its toll. I looked back at St Sunday


Onwards and upwards towards Hellvelyn. the summit traverse path is airy nice and staedy walking and easy on the legs after a grelling climb. It does have its moments and its a trek to the mountain, however there are some nice views from: Nethermost Pike with striding edge and catstye cam being the obvious draw.


Finally got to the summit of Hellvelyn and had a rest in the summit shelter

Then the sun came out when i got to the summit cairn:


It was then time to make a hasty retreat across to raise and down past keppel cove back to Patterdale. i reached Greenside mine as it got dark and it was pitch black when i got to Glenridding so walked back to Patterdale in darkness. I was exhausted and exhilerated at the same time. i hadn't achieved all my objectives but its never a dissapointment climbing Hellvelyn.

I retired to the Brotherswater Arms for a lamb casserole and a beer. Then back to the tent and a good nights sleep.

you can read a more detailed vesion of this walk and day at:

http://www.walkingforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,4953.0.html

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers